It's Phoebe's first year at senior high. She was upset about a problem with a friend at school, so she sent a message to Cora. Cora is an influencer, and she often shares her ideas and helps people solve problems on her vlog. She reads out Phoebe's problem and gives her some advice on building a better relationship.
Phoebe 今年高一。她因為在學校跟朋友發生的問題感到很煩,所以她留言給 Cora。Cora 是一位網路紅人,她經常在她的影像部落格中分享她的想法,且幫助他人解決問題。她讀出 Phoebe 的煩惱並給她建立更好關係的一些建議。
I'm in my first year at senior high, and I'm a member of the cheerleading squad. However, I've recently had a problem with my best friend, Kathy. She is the team captain. I think she's picking on me. Last Thursday, she got mad in front of everyone because I showed up for practice a few minutes late. Later, she even shouted at me because I messed up my moves. I'm afraid our friendship will be destroyed if this continues. What can I do?
我是高一生,我是啦啦隊的一員。可是,最近我和最要好的朋友 Kathy 發生了一個問題。她是啦啦隊隊長。我覺得她在找我麻煩。上星期四,她在大家面前發火,因為我練習時遲到了幾分鐘。後來,她甚至對我大吼大叫,因為我動作出錯。我怕再這樣下去會毀了我們的友誼。我該怎麼辦?
(Cora's advice)
(Cora 的建議)
Dear Phoebe, that can happen in any friendship. I had a similar experience in high school.
親愛的 Phoebe,在任何一段友情裡都可能發生這樣的事。我在高中的時候也有過類似的經歷。
First, you need to stay cool. Next time Kathy shouts at you, take a step back, breathe deeply, and listen to what she says. Showing anger is bad for a relationship. Conflicts can't be solved when emotions are high.
首先,妳要保持冷靜。下次 Kathy 對妳大吼大叫,停下來思考一下,深呼吸,聽聽看她說些什麼。表達憤怒傷感情。情緒激動時是無法解決衝突的。
I also need to emphasize the importance of taking responsibility. Phoebe, maybe you don't fully appreciate your friend's position. Perhaps it is no big deal for you to arrive a little late for practice, but Kathy might not think so. As the captain, she has the stress of getting everyone to work together, so she can't show favoritism to her friends. That could be why she "picks on" you, as you said.
我也要強調負責任的重要性。Phoebe,或許妳並不完全理解妳朋友的立場。對妳來說練習遲到一下並不算什麼,可是 Kathy 可能不那麼認為。身為隊長,她有壓力要讓大家一起合作,所以不能表現出偏袒朋友。那可能是妳口中「找妳麻煩」的原因。
Another thing to mention is the powerful effect of kind words in ending conflicts. Arguments between friends can be very painful, and nobody really "wins." So, try to use friendly words to end the bad feelings. For example, you could thank her for her efforts, and say the team is doing well because of her. You can also promise you'll try your best for the team.
另一件我想說的事是用說好話來停止衝突是非常有效的。朋友間的爭執是非常痛苦的,而且沒有真正的「贏家」。所以嘗試以友好的說詞去結束疙瘩吧。例如,妳可以感謝她的努力,並說啦啦隊可以如此的好是因為她的功勞。妳也可以承諾妳會為啦啦隊盡心盡力。
Building good relationships with other people is an important life skill. It can be difficult, but it's worth learning. Anyway, Phoebe, I hope my tips will help you. I'm sure your relationship will become stronger than ever. Remember, when two sides are in conflict, there doesn't have to be only one winner.
與他人建立友好關係是重要的生活技能。它有點難,但值得學習。無論如何,Phoebe,我希望我的建議有幫到妳。我確定妳們之間的關係會比以前更加穩固。要記得,當兩方發生衝突時,贏家未必只能有一個。
- upset [ʌpˋsɛt] adj.
苦惱的,心煩的
Janice is really upset about her poor exam results.
Janice 對於自己的考試成績差感到非常苦惱。 - upset [ʌpˋsɛt] v.
使心煩,惹惱
Carrie is angry with me, but I can't remember doing anything to upset her.
Carrie 在生我的氣,但我不記得有做過任何讓她不開心的事。 - solve [sɑlv] v.
解決;解答
We will need to work together to solve this problem.
我們將必須合作來解決這個問題。
The first step in solving this math question is to find the value of x.
解開這道數學題的第一步是要找出 x 的值。 - solution [səˋluʃən] n.
解決辦法
Mr. Wang is seeking a solution to his company's money troubles.
王先生正在找出能解決他公司財務困擾的方法。 - advice [ədˋvaɪs] n.
建議
My older brother gave me some useful advice when I started senior high school.
我進高中時,我哥哥給了我一些滿有用的建議。 - advise [ədˋvaɪz] v.
勸告
Ms. Chen advised her class to make good use of their time.
陳老師勸她班上的學生要好好利用他們的時間。 - relationship [rɪˋleʃənˋʃɪp] n.
關係,關連
The relationship between Antonia and her sister is very close.
Antonia 跟她妹妹的關係相當緊密。 - relations [rɪˋleʃənz] n.
(往來)關係
We have good relations with our friendly neighbors.
我們跟友善的鄰居關係處得很好。 - related [rɪˋletɪd] adj.
有關的;有親戚關係的
Dolphins and whales are very closely related.
海豚與鯨魚的生物關係很近。
I thought Dave and James were brothers, but they're not related at all.
我以為 Dave 跟 James 是兄弟,但他們一點血緣關係都沒有。 - captain [ˋkæptɪn] n.
(運動隊)隊長;機長,船長
I think Andy is our best player and should be the captain of our team.
我認為 Andy 是我們的最佳球員,而且應該當我們隊上的隊長。
The captain said the plane was going to land at a different airport because of the weather.
機長說因為天氣的緣故,飛機要在不同的機場降落了。 - destroy [dɪˋstrɔɪ] v.
破壞,摧毀
The injury destroyed Mark's chance of playing in the game on Saturday.
受傷粉碎了 Mark 週六出場比賽的機會。 - destruction [dɪˋstrʌkʃən] n.
毀滅,破壞
The destruction of the ancient city was caused by a strong earthquake.
這座古城的毀滅是強烈地震造成的。 - breathe [brið] v.
呼吸
While we practice this exercise, we need to breathe deeply and slowly.
當我們練習這種運動時,我們需要慢慢地深呼吸。
I love to go to the mountains and breathe the fresh air.
我喜歡去山上呼吸新鮮的空氣。 - breath [brɛθ] n.
呼吸
I took a deep breath and swam down to the bottom of the pool.
我深吸一口氣然後潛入池底。
After climbing the stairs to the fifth floor, I was out of breath.
爬樓梯到五樓之後,我氣喘噓噓。 - conflict [ˋkɑnflɪkt] n.
衝突,爭執
I always try to deal with a conflict by discussing the problem calmly.
我總是試圖藉由冷靜探討問題來處理衝突。
Jessica is in conflict with her parents because she wants to stay up later.
Jessica 因為想熬夜而與父母起爭執。 - conflict [kənˋflɪkt] v.
衝突,矛盾
Denise's opinions often conflict with mine, as we are very different in personality.
Denise 的意見常與我相左,因為我們個性迥異。 - emotion [ɪˋmoʃən] n.
情緒,情感
David is a shy boy who often tries to hide his emotions.
David 是害羞的男孩,他時常掩飾自己的情緒。 - emotional [ɪˋmoʃən!] adj.
情感上的
I was thankful for my friend's emotional support during my recent difficulties.
感謝我朋友在我最近有難時給予情感上的支持。 - emphasize [ˋɛmfə͵saɪz] v.
強調,重視
During the job interview, Ivan tried to emphasize his computer skills.
在面試時,Ivan 試著強調他的電腦才能。 - emphasis [ˋɛmfəsɪs] n.
強調,重視
Your writing is quite good, but you need to put more emphasis on your main point.
你的作文寫得相當好,但你需要多強調你的重點。 - responsibility [rɪ͵spɑnsəˋbɪlətɪ] n.
責任
When Mom is working late, my sister takes responsibility for preparing dinner.
當媽媽工作到比較晚時,我姊姊負責準備晚餐。 - responsible [rɪˋspɑnsəb!] adj.
需負責任的;有責任感的
In class today, the teacher made me responsible for handing out the papers.
今天上課時,老師要我負責發考卷。
Alex is a responsible young man who takes good care of his family.
Alex 是有責任感的年輕人,他把家庭照顧得很好。 - appreciate [əˋpriʃɪ͵et] v.
體認;欣賞;感激
We appreciate your concern and will try our best to improve the situation.
我們瞭解你的擔心,而且會盡全力改善這種情況。
I'm not an artist, but I know how to appreciate a good painting.
我不是藝術家,但我懂得如何欣賞好畫。
I really appreciate your kindness and will never forget your help.
我實在感謝你的好意,而且永遠不會忘記你的幫助。 - appreciation [ə͵priʃɪˋeʃən] n.
欣賞;感激
As Laura grew older, her appreciation of good food grew.
隨著 Laura 越長越大,她對美食的鑑賞力也進步了。
I showed my appreciation by sending the teacher some flowers.
我送老師一些花來表達我的感激。 - stress [strɛs] n.
壓力
You've been under a lot of stress at work so I'm not surprised you feel ill.
工作壓力一直很大,所以你覺得身體不適我並不驚訝。 - stressful [ˋstrɛsfəl] adj.
充滿壓力的,令人緊張的
The time before an exam is very stressful for most students.
大考之前對大多數的學生來說都很有壓力。 - mention [ˋmɛnʃən] v.
說到,提起
When you spoke to Kevin, did you mention your vacation plans?
當你跟 Kevin 聊天時,你有提到你的度假計畫嗎? - effect [ɪˋfɛkt] n.
影響;效果
Jack's advice has had no effect on his son, who never listens to anyone.
Jack 的建議對他兒子沒有用,因為他從不聽任何人的話。
One common side effect of taking the medicine is a dry mouth.
服用這種藥常見的一種副作用就是口乾舌燥。 - effective [ɪˋfɛktɪv] adj.
有效的
A hot bath is an effective way to relax at the end of the day.
在一天結束時,泡熱水澡是有效的放鬆方式。 - argument [ˋɑrgjəmənt] n.
爭執,爭論
I had a big argument with my sister because she used my phone without asking.
我跟姊姊大吵一架,因為她沒問過我就用我的電話。 - argue [ˋɑrgjʊ] v.
爭吵,爭論
This morning, two of my classmates were arguing about an unfinished project.
今天早上,我的兩個同學為了沒有完成的計畫起爭執。 - promise [ˋprɑmɪs] v.
保證,允諾
Karen promised me that I could stay at her place when I go to Canada.
Karen 向我保證當我去加拿大的時候,我可以住她家。 - promise [ˋprɑmɪs] n.
諾言
Nathan always tries his best to keep a promise, for who will trust him otherwise?
Nathan 總是盡力遵守諾言,不然誰還會信任他呢? - worth [wɝθ] adj.
值得;有...價值的
The museum has a lot to see and is really worth visiting.
博物館有很多東西可以看,非常值得拜訪。
It's a nice jacket, but it isn't worth three thousand dollars.
這是一件不錯的夾克,但不值得三千塊。 - worth [wɝθ] n.
價值
I think the price they gave you is much higher than the car's true worth.
我覺得他們開的價格比那輛車實際的價值還高。 - pick on
找碴,指責
Jane felt the manager was picking on her and decided to quit her job.
Jane 覺得經理在找她麻煩,於是她決定辭職。 - show up
出現,出席
Leo was very disappointed when Alice didn't show up for their date.
當 Alice 沒有赴約時,Leo 覺得非常失望。 - mess up
搞砸
Janice messed up her dance performance when she fell down.
當 Janice 跌倒時,她把舞蹈表演搞砸了。 - take a step back
停下來思考
We should take a step back and think about this project more carefully.
我們應該停下腳步並且更加審慎地思考這個計畫案。 - no big deal
沒什麼大不了
It's no big deal if Mike can't come to the meeting this afternoon.
如果 Mike 今天下午不能來開會也沒什麼大不了的。