Eight out of ten people get facial spots at some point in their lives, mostly during their teenage years. As a teenager, how much do you know about the causes of skin problems and, more importantly, how you can deal with them? You might be surprised at how much "common sense" about skin care is simply not true. Let's look at these statements and see if you can separate the myths from the facts.
十個人當中有八個在一生中的某個時期會冒痘子,大多數是發生在青少年時期。身為一名青少年,對於肌膚問題的成因以及更重要的是如何處理,你了解多少呢?你可能會覺得很意外,對於那些有關肌膚保養的「基本常識」可能根本不是對的。我們現在來檢視這些說法,也看看自己能不能分辨哪些是事實,哪些是迷思。
1. People get spots because their face is dirty.
1. 會長痘子是因為臉很髒。
False. Skin problems tend to occur when oil, bacteria, or dead skin cells block your pores. These are tiny holes that let your skin breathe. In fact, washing your face too often may worsen the problem. Once or twice a day is enough.
錯。肌膚問題傾向發生於當油脂、細菌或老廢皮膚細胞阻塞你毛孔的時候。毛孔是讓皮膚呼吸的小孔。事實上,洗臉次數過多可能會使肌膚問題惡化。一天一到二次就足夠了。
2. Fast food can give you acne, and so can chocolate.
2. 吃速食會讓人長痘痘,巧克力也是。
False. According to Dr. David Bank, a skincare expert in New York, there is no direct link between eating fast food and skin trouble. But having too much greasy food can raise blood-sugar levels, which has been shown to be related to acne. So, when you eat fast food, maybe you should choose something non-fried. As for the claim that chocolate causes spots, it's just another common myth. It depends on how much fat and sugar it contains.
錯。根據紐約的肌膚保養專家大衛.班克醫生表示,吃速食與肌膚問題沒有直接相關性。但是,攝取過多的油膩食物會使血糖升高,這已證明與痘痘有關。所以,當你在吃速食的時候,或許該選一些非油炸類的東西。至於巧克力會引發面皰的說法,不過又是一個常見的迷思。要視其油脂與糖分含量而定。
3. Stress can give you spots.
3. 壓力會讓你冒痘子。
True, but not completely. Stress alone isn't the cause of spots—age and hormones, for example, also play a part—but stress can make your skin more sensitive and worsen any spots that you already have. A survey by Temple University in Philadelphia found that the severity of acne is related to stress levels. Anyway, you can try to find positive ways of reducing stress. Your mental health will certainly benefit, and your skin may even become healthier as a reflection of that.
對,但又不完全正確。單一因為壓力並不會引發面皰--像是年齡和賀爾蒙都有可能造成面皰--但壓力會讓皮膚更敏感,而使你原來就有的面皰變得更嚴重。費城的天普大學調查發現面皰的嚴重程度與壓力程度有關。無論如何,你可以想辦法找到積極的減壓方法。你的精神狀況必定會因此受惠,而你的皮膚也會反映出這個事實並變得更加地健康。
4. When pimples appear, you should gently pop them.
4. 冒痘子時,應該要輕輕擠壓。
False. Don't pop your pimples at all, not even gently. A popped pimple may appear less obvious for a while, but it will stay around for longer. By squeezing spots, you actually push bacteria, dead skin cells, and oil further into the skin, which causes the skin to swell and redden more. You may even end up with an ugly scar on your face.
錯。千萬不要擠痘子,連輕輕擠也不行。擠痘子可能會讓它暫時變得不明顯,但是這樣會讓痘痘更難好。擠痘子時,其實會把細菌,老廢的皮質細胞和油脂都推進皮膚裡,讓痘痘更紅腫。你甚至可能會在臉上留下難看的痘疤。
5. You need to use moisturizer even if you have oily skin.
5. 即使是油性膚質,也應該使用保濕霜。
True. Experts say that even oily skin can benefit from using moisturizer every day. However, it's best to use an oil-free moisturizer that doesn't block the pores or trap dead skin cells.
對。專家說每天使用保濕霜即使是對油性肌膚也有助益。但是,最好要使用無油保濕霜,才不會阻塞毛孔或囤積老廢皮膚細胞。
If you're often confused by the facts and myths about skin care, maybe it's time for you to learn more about it. Ask your doctor, or a skin specialist, for dependable advice, rather than believe everything you hear.
如果你經常搞混皮膚保養相關的事實和迷思,也許現在正是你該學學相關的知識。去請教醫生或是向皮膚科醫生尋求可靠的建議,而不是一味相信所有你聽到的事。
- spot [spɑt] n.
面皰;斑點
Eric was shocked when he looked in the mirror and saw five red spots on his face.
Eric 照鏡子看到臉上的五顆痘痘時嚇了一大跳。
I call my pet dog "Spot" because he is white with black spots.
我將我養的狗取名為 Spot,因為他是白色的,身上有黑色斑點。 - separate [ˋsɛpə͵ret] v.
分開,區分
Judd makes up so many stories that it's hard to separate the truth from his lies.
Judd 編了太多的故事,以致於無法輕易區分哪些是事實,哪些是他的謊言。 - separate [ˋsɛprɪt] adj.
各自的,不同的
At the age of twelve, the twins were given separate bedrooms at home.
這對雙胞胎五歲的時候就分別在家裡有各自的房間。 - myth [mɪθ] n.
迷思,普遍卻錯誤的觀念;神話
Don't believe the myth that not eating breakfast will make you thinner.
別相信不吃早餐會讓你變瘦的迷思。
Stories about great heroes and horrible beasts are my favorite ancient Greek myths.
關於偉大英雄和駭人野獸的故事是我最喜愛的古希臘神話。 - occur [əˋkɝ] v.
發生
What were you doing when the robbery occurred?
搶劫案發生時你在做什麼呢? - occurrence [əˋkɝəns] n.
發生的事,事件
A typhoon is a rare occurrence in December, but it can still happen.
颱風是 12 月很少見的事件,但它還是可能會發生。 - cell [sɛl] n.
細胞
White blood cells help our bodies fight disease.
白血球能幫助我們的身體抵抗疾病。 - worsen [ˋwɝsn] v.
(使)惡化
Tim tried to help, but it just worsened the situation.
Tim 試圖要幫忙,但這只讓情況更糟。
Jack's illness worsened as the weather turned cold.
隨著天氣變冷,Jack 的病情惡化了。 - greasy [ˋgrizɪ] adj.
油膩的
These fries are really greasy and don't taste good at all.
這些薯條真的太油了,而且一點也不好吃。 - grease [gris] n.
油脂
The oven hasn't been cleaned in ages and is thick with grease on the inside.
這烤箱已經很久沒人清洗了,裡面積滿了厚厚的油脂。 - grease [griz] v.
以油脂潤滑
Derek greased the wheels of his bicycle to stop them from making a noise.
Derek 幫他的腳踏車輪胎上油,這樣輪胎才不會發出噪音。 - claim [klem] n.
說法,聲稱
Al's claims about traveling to the North Pole are not true.
Al 去北極旅行的說法不是真的。 - claim [klem] v.
聲稱,主張
The salesman claimed the drink could help people lose weight.
這個推銷員聲稱這款飲料可以幫助人們減重。 - severity [səˋvɛrətɪ] n.
嚴重性
I think the severity of a punishment should fit the crime.
我認為處罰的嚴重性應該要適合犯下的罪行。 - severe [səˋvɪr] adj.
嚴重的
Jack went to the doctor with a severe pain in his stomach.
Jack 因為肚子痛得很厲害而去看醫生。 - positive [ˋpɑzətɪv] adj.
正向的,有效的
Good luck with your job search, and I hope it will lead to a positie result.
祝你找工作順利,我希望這能帶來好的結果。 - reduce [rɪˋdjus] v.
減少,降低
You should reduce speed when you are driving near an elementary school.
當開車開到小學附近時,你應該減速。 - reduction [rɪˋdʌkʃən] n.
減少,降低
There are some big price reductions on TVs at the Sunshine Department Store.
陽光百貨正在舉辦一些電視大減價的活動。 - benefit [ˋbɛnəfɪt] v.
(使)受益
Many people will benefit from this new invention.
許多人都將受益於這項新發明。
I hate all this rain, but at least it will benefit farmers.
我討厭這場雨,但至少它能讓農夫受益。 - benefit [ˋbɛnəfɪt] n.
利益,好處
Computers have brought many benefits to modern society.
電腦對現代社會帶來許多好處。
Owen didn't take the job for his own benefit, but to help his family.
Owen 不是為了自己的利益而接下這份工作,而是為了幫助他的家人。 - pop [pɑp] v.
(使)爆開
The children had a great time chasing and popping the bubbles I blew for them.
孩子們開心地追逐、弄破我吹給他們的泡泡。
The blue balloon popped when I sat on it by mistake.
當我不小心坐在上面時,藍色氣球爆開了。 - squeeze [skwiz] v.
擠壓,擠出
I got this juice by squeezing five oranges.
我擠了五顆柳丁,做出了這杯果汁。 - swell [swɛl] v.
腫脹,膨脹
This cream should stop the insect bite from swelling too much.
這乳膏應該能讓昆蟲叮咬不那麼腫脹。 - scar [skɑr] n.
疤痕
If you don't go to the doctor, that cut will probably leave a scar on your arm.
如果你不去看醫生,那個傷口很可能會在你手臂上留下疤痕。 - moisturizer [ˋmɔɪstʃəraɪzɚ] n.
保濕霜,滋潤霜
Your skin looks very dry, so I think you'd better start using a good moisturizer.
你的皮膚看起來相當乾燥,所以我建議你最好開始用好的保濕霜。 - moisturize [ˋmɔɪstʃə͵raɪz] v.
(使)滋潤
As well as keeping it clean, this shampoo moisturizes dry hair very well.
這款洗髮精不僅能洗去髒汙,它還可以大大滋潤乾燥的頭髮。
Charlotte says her skin is so smooth because she moisturizes every day.
Charlotte 說她的皮膚非常光滑,因為她每天都會滋潤保養。 - moisture [ˋmɔɪstʃɚ] n.
濕氣,水分
The moisture on the basement walls is apparently causing the paint to come off.
地下室牆壁上的水氣很明顯導致油漆剝落。 - trap [træp] v.
困住
After the accident the driver was trapped in his car for two hours.
意外發生後,駕駛受困車中兩個小時。 - trap [træp] n.
陷阱
The hunters set a trap to catch the bear.
獵人設下陷阱來捉熊。 - specialist [ˋspɛʃəlɪst] n.
專科醫生;專家
Dr. Jones is a specialist in children's medicine.
Jones 醫生是兒童用藥的專家。
This machine can only be used by a specialist.
這個藥物只有專科醫生才能使用。 - dependable [dɪˋpɛndəb!] adj.
可以信任的,可靠的
Judith says her electric car is dependable and never breaks down.
Judith 說她的電動車很可靠,從來沒有拋錨過。 - deal with
處理,應付
The city government needs to deal with the garbage problem right away.
市政府需要馬上處理垃圾問題。 - be related to
與...有關
Andy's problems are related to money because he spends too much.
Andy 的問題跟錢有關,因為他花太多錢了。 - as for
至於
Mom had fish for dinner and my brother had pasta. As for me, I just ate a salad.
媽媽晚餐吃魚,我哥哥吃義大利麵。至於我,我只吃一份沙拉。 - rather than
而不是
I prefer to read a real newspaper rather than an online one.
我比較喜歡讀紙本的報紙,而不是網路新聞。