Keystroke by keystroke, he types his latest masterpiece in an Oregon nursing home. But Paul Smith is not an author; he's an artist.
一鍵一鍵地,他在奧勒岡一間療養院內敲下他最新大作。但保羅‧史密斯不是作家;他是位藝術家。
"I'm going to work on the tail."
「我要來畫尾巴。」
He was born with severe cerebral palsy, yet Paul Smith has created hundreds of works of art using a typewriter.
他出生就有嚴重的腦性麻痺,然而保羅‧史密斯已經用打字機創造出數百幅藝術品。
You give me a typewriter; I can't even type 12 words a minute looking at my hands, okay. There is no way that I can come up with a picture like that.
你給我一台打字機;我甚至連看著我的手都沒辦法一分鐘打出 12 個字,對呀。我絕對不可能做出一幅那樣的畫。
Every time I flip through the work, I'm just amazed, because it's as good as art as you can find.
每次我翻閱那作品,我就是很驚艷,因為如你所見,這跟藝術一樣出色。
Paul's movements are severely limited; his determination—endless. His disorder makes using a brush or a pen impossible, but as a young man, he discovered the keys to expressing himself at the top of a typewriter keyboard. Using just 10 of the symbol keys, he taught himself to paint. Look closely, and you can see how Paul typed pound signs to create the facial detail on his Mona Lisa. Here, the "@" symbol doubles for desk drawer knobs in this scene of his childhood bedroom. Note the typewriter prominently displayed. Paul has created incredibly detailed pictures by artistically aligning those 10 keys against a black or colored ribbon.
保羅的動作被嚴重侷限;他的決心--永無止盡。他身體的不便使他不可能用畫刷或筆,但年輕時,他在打字機鍵盤上找到表達自己想法的「關鍵」。只用符號按鍵上其中十個鍵,他教自己繪畫。靠近些看,你可以看到保羅如何敲出井字號來在他的《蒙娜麗莎》上創造出臉部細節。這兒,兩個 @ 符號相疊當做他兒時臥房景色中的書桌抽屜圓形把手。注意到打字機被明顯地擺著。保羅創造出難以置信精細的圖畫,由藝術上巧妙地將那十個按鍵和黑色或彩色色帶排列一塊。
"It's something to do."
「這是一件該做的事。」
His joy in life is finding ways to be creative. I think he sees it. Now, that's part of why he's on Earth; why we are on Earth.
他的人生樂趣就是找出變得有創意的方法。我想他發現它了。現在,那是部份他存在的原因;我們存在的原因。
Well, I think the dog now has a tail.
嗯,我想小狗現在有尾巴了。
When someone says, "I could never do that," Paul answers, "What can you do?" Places Paul's lived or visited are the inspiration for much of his art. Some of which lines the hallway of Rose Haven Nursing Center.
當有人說:「我永遠不可能做到」時,保羅回答:「你可以做什麼?」保羅曾居住或拜訪過的地方是他大部分藝術的靈感來源。他的藝術品中有些陳列在 Rose Haven 療養中心走廊上。
Here's a lot of memories on this wall. Let's see—that's the ship you went to Bermuda.
這牆上有許多回憶。讓我們瞧瞧--那是你去百慕達的船。
"My whole family went."
「我的整個家族都有去。」
His family now is the staff and residents of Rose Haven, where he has lived since 1967.
他的家人現在是 Rose Haven 的員工和居民, 他從 1967 年就住在那了。
Hey, Paul! How are you doing today?
嘿,保羅!你今天好嗎?
Great.
很好。
Are you still working on that dog?
你還在畫那隻狗嗎?
Yes.
對啊。
Hi, sweetie, how are you doing?
嗨,親愛的,你好嗎?
And he's such a terrific person. He's such a humble man—a real gentle soul.
他是這麼棒的一個人。他是如此謙遜的人--一位真正和善的人。
She's really nice.
她人很好。
Yeah.
對阿。
Thanks, Paul. It's easy to be nice.
謝啦,保羅。對人好很容易。
Paul Smith would much rather brag about his friends at Rose Haven than about himself or his art.
保羅‧史密斯會更樂意誇耀他在 Rose Haven 的朋友們,而不是誇耀他自己或他的藝術。
"He's a good guy. He's a real good guy."
「他是個好人。他是個非常好的人。」
And those who know him say the same thing about Paul—the artist is even more inspiring than his art.
而那些認識他的人都對保羅做出相同評論--藝術家本身甚至比他的藝術品更激勵人心。
It's wonderful to watch him work, and it's wonderful to enjoy his art, but not as good as it's...as enjoying him.
看他創作很美好,享受他的藝術很美好,但沒像...不像享受他這個人那般美好。
Deeply religious, Paul says his artistic ability is a gift from God. His faith and something else keeps him going.
極度虔誠,保羅說他的美術能力是來自上帝的禮物。他的信仰以及其他某件事物讓他不斷前進。
"My finger."
「我的手指。」
Your finger?
你的手指?
And with that finger for as long as he is able, this extraordinary man will continue creating his extraordinary art, one keystroke at a time.
他能和那手指多久,這位了不起的男人就會繼續創作他了不起的藝術,一次敲下一個鍵。
- 「創造出、想出」- Come Up With
There is no way that I can come up with a picture like that.
我絕對不可能做出一幅那樣的畫。 - 「從事、致力於」- Work On
Are you still working on that dog?
你還在畫那隻狗嗎?