Sometimes the things people say don't mean what we think they do, and that can lead to misunderstandings. Thinking about context is essential if you want to understand what people really mean.
有時候人們說出口的話,和我們理解的有所不同,而那可能會導致誤會。如果你想知道他們真正的意思,思考上下文情境是很重要的。
Mark's not very good at this, but luckily, I'm here to help him work out what people really mean.
Mark 對這個不太行,但幸運地,我在這要幫他搞懂人們真正的言下之意。
What They Really Mean
原來你是這意思?!
Episode One: Questions as Warnings
第一集:警告式問句
Are you really wearing that hat?
你真的戴那頂帽子?
Of course Mark is wearing that hat; it's on his head. So why is Chloe asking him that question? Any ideas? Let's watch and find out.
Mark 當然戴著那頂帽子;它就在他頭上。那為什麼 Chloe 要問那個問題呢?有什麼想法嗎?讓我們來看看並了解為什麼。
Well, I'll be off to Dave's party.
嗯,我要去 Dave 的派對了。
All right. Where did you get that hat?
好。你在哪裡買到那頂帽子的?
Oh, I just picked it up down the market.
喔,我在市場買的。
Have you looked in the mirror?
你有照鏡子看過嗎?
Well, of course. It means I can really admire my new hat.
嗯,當然有。那代表我可以好好欣賞我的新帽子。
Are you really wearing that hat?
你真的戴著那頂帽子?
Well, it's on my head, isn't it? So, yes, I am wearing this hat. Well, I'm off to the party.
呃,它在我頭上了,不是嗎?所以,對,我戴著這頂帽子。我要去派對啦。
What's up?
怎麼啦?
Everyone was laughing at my hat. They said it looked ridiculous. Why didn't you tell me?
大家都在嘲笑我的帽子。他們說看起來很荒謬。妳為什麼沒告訴我?
But I tried.
但我試過啦。
You did? I don't understand.
妳有嗎?我不懂。
I don't understand. Chloe said she tried to warn me, but all she did was just ask me some questions.
我不懂。Chloe 說她試著要警告我,但她做的只有問我一些問題而已。
No. Chloe did. Those questions she asked—they weren't really questions.
不是的。Chloe 的確警告過你了。她問的那些問題--並不是真的問題。
What do you mean?
這是什麼意思?
These were questions used as warnings. Chloe wasn't looking for an answer. In fact, the answers were obvious. She knew that he was wearing that hat. She could see that he was looking in the mirror. She was just trying to draw his attention to the hat. And it's a lot politer than saying, "Take off that hat; it's ridiculous!"
這些是用來警告的問句。Chloe 不是在尋求答案。事實上,答案已經很明顯了。她知道他戴著那頂帽子。她有看到他照了鏡子。她只是試著要將他的注意力移到帽子上。而這比直接說:「脫掉那頂帽子;看起來超蠢的!」還要有禮貌多了。
Now, these questions are written in the same way as normal questions. So, to spot them, try asking yourself this: Is this information that the other person really needs? Are the answers obvious? Listen for their tone of voice. Questions that are used as warnings often use the same intonation as a statement.
而這些問句跟一般問句的寫法一樣。所以,為了要聽出這些警告式問句,試著問自己:這真的是另一個人所需要的資訊嗎?這些答案是不是顯而易見?注意聽他們的語調。被用來作為警告的問句通常會使用跟直述句一樣的語調。
Listen to, "Where did you get that hat?" (question) and "Where did you get that hat?" (warning). In this case, Chloe was warning about his hat looking silly. But they can be about lots of different things: the weather, time, people's ideas... You'll see more examples at the end of the program.
聽聽這兩句:「你在哪裡買到那頂帽子的?」(疑問)和「你在哪裡買到那頂帽子的?」(警告)。在這個情況下,Chloe 在警告他的帽子看起來很蠢。但有很多事情都可以這樣用:天氣、時間、人們的點子...你會在節目最後看到更多例子。
I feel like I wanna try that again.
我覺得我想再試一次。
Are you still off to Dave's party?
你還要去 Dave 的派對嗎?
Yes, I'm off now.
對,我現在要走了。
Are you really wearing that hat?
你真的戴著那頂帽子?
You don't think it's a good idea?
妳不覺得是好主意?
Umm...I'm not sure it's your color.
嗯...我不確定這個顏色適合你。
Umm... All right, well... Maybe I'll leave it at home, then.
嗯...好吧...那也許我還是把它放在家裡好了。
Here are some more questions used as warnings.
這裡還有更多用來警告的問句。
Are you not taking a coat? (It's cold...)
你不穿外套嗎?(言下之意:很冷欸...)
Are you still here? (You'll be late...)
你還在這裡?(言下之意:你要遲到了...)
Are you serious? (I think that's a bad idea...)
你認真嗎?(言下之意:我覺得這是個爛點子...)
Are you leaving? (You should stay here...)
你要走了?(言下之意:你應該待在這裡...)
- 「想出、搞懂」- Work Out
Mark's not very good at this, but luckily, I'm here to help him work out what people really mean.
Mark 對這個不太行,但幸運地,我在這要幫他搞懂人們真正的言下之意。 - 「弄清某事」- Find Out
Let's watch and find out.
讓我們來看看並了解為什麼。 - 「嘲笑」- Laugh At
Everyone was laughing at my hat.
大家都在嘲笑我的帽子。 - 「尋求、尋找」- Look For
Chloe wasn't looking for an answer.
Chloe 不是在尋求答案。 - 「讓某人注意到」- Draw One's Attention To
She was just trying to draw his attention to the hat.
她只是試著要將他的注意力移到帽子上。 - 「脫掉」- Take Off
And it's a lot politer than saying, "Take off that hat; it's ridiculous!"
而這比直接說:「脫掉那頂帽子,看起來超蠢的!」還要有禮貌多了。 - 「注意聽」- Listen For
Listen for their tone of voice.
注意聽他們的語調。 - 「想要做某事」- Feel Like
I feel like I wanna try that again.
我覺得我想再試一次。