As you know, the Supreme Court decision on Friday in favor of same-sex marriage is controversial. Some people just don't like it. They don't believe in it. They don't think it's right. One of the most common arguments you hear is "How do I explain this to my kids?" And it's a good question. At the very least, it's a fair question. You wonder if children are sophisticated enough to wrap their head around something like this. So we went out on the street today to ask kids what they think and what they know, and here they are: kids share their thoughts on same-sex marriage.
大家都知道,最高法院週五贊成通過同志婚姻,大家對這個決定爭論不休。有些人就是不喜歡。他們不相信同志婚姻。也不覺得這是對的。大家最常聽到的一個論點是:我要怎麼教小孩啊?這是個好問題。至少這是個公平的問題。你不確定小孩是不是夠成熟了,能夠理解這類事情。所以我們今天到街上問小朋友的想法,看看他們知道多少,以下就來觀賞:小朋友發表對於同志婚姻的想法。
Could you tell me what gay marriage is?
妳可以告訴我什麼是同志婚姻嗎?
Um, it's when...two men and two women get married.
嗯,就是...兩個男人跟兩個女人結婚。
It's...so is it when four people get married?
那是...所以是四個人一起結婚嗎?
No.
不是啦。
Could you tell us what gay marriage is?
你可以告訴我們什麼是同志婚姻嗎?
I know nothing about that yet.
我還不知道那是什麼東西。
You don't know anything about it?
你完全不懂這是什麼嗎?
Why would anyone want to get married?
為什麼有人會想要結婚?
Um, because they love each other and they just feel a connection, I believe?
嗯,因為他們相愛,而且他們覺得彼此心理能夠連結,我覺得應該是這樣?
Do you think it's a good thing?
你覺得這是好事嗎?
Yeah.
是。
Do you know what makes somebody gay?
妳知道為什麼有人是同性戀嗎?
Yeah.
知道。
What?
為什麼?
I got broken leg.
我腳斷掉了。
No.
不是啦。
When should two people get married?
兩個人什麼時候應該結婚?
In at the afternoon.
下午的時候。
That's a good time to get married.
那是個結婚的好時間。
Do you know what marriage is?
妳知道什麼是婚姻嗎?
Yes.
知道。
What is it?
是什麼?
It's when a husband and a wife get married.
一個老公跟一個老婆結婚。
So what do you think gay marriage is?
那妳覺得什麼是同志婚姻?
When a boy and a boy get married, and a girl and a girl get married.
一個男生跟一個男生結婚還有一個女生跟一個女生結婚。
Aw, you're right.
噢,沒錯。
Do you think that's very hard to understand?
妳覺得那很難理解嗎?
For some kids.
對有些小孩來說很難。
But not for you?
但妳不覺得難懂?
No, not really.
不覺得。
Do you think anybody should be able to get married?
妳覺得任何人都該有資格結婚嗎?
If you're old enough.
如果你年紀夠大的話。
Uh, you...very wise.
啊,妳...很明智欸。
Do you want to get married?
妳想結婚嗎?
Yes.
想。
When?
什麼時候?
When I'm 30.
我三十歲的時候。
Why would someone want to get married?
為什麼有人會想要結婚呢?
Because they're pregnant?
因為他們懷孕了?
Because they're pregnant?
因為他們懷孕了?
Could you tell us what gay marriage is?
你可以告訴我們什麼是同志婚姻嗎?
Um... Where boy marries another boy.
嗯...男生跟另一個男生結婚。
Okay, and could it be when a girl meets or marries another girl?
好,那有可能是一個女生跟另一個女生結婚嗎?
Um, no.
嗯,不是。
Just boy meeting another boy?
只有男生跟男生結婚嗎?
Yeah.
對。
Wow. What would it be called if a girl married another girl?
哇。那如果是女生跟女生結婚要叫什麼呢?
Lesbianism.
蕾絲邊。
Do you think anybody should be able to get married if they want to?
你覺得任何人只要想結婚就有資格結婚嗎?
Yes.
對。
How come?
怎麼說?
Well, because if they want to, they should be able to.
因為如果他們想要,就有資格。
Would you want to get married?
你想要結婚嗎?
Um, not really.
嗯,不太想。
How come?
為什麼?
Because, um, when you get married, um, the other person is entitled to any money, um, the other person has.
因為,嗯,你結婚的話,嗯,另一個人就有權利拿另一個人所有的錢。
So it's a financial issue for you?
所以對你來說是金錢上的問題?
Yeah.
對。
See, he's fiscally conservative.
他對錢很保守耶。
- 「至少」- at the very least
At the very least, it's a fair question.
至少這是個公平的問題。 - 「理解」- wrap one's head around
You wonder if children are sophisticated enough to wrap their head around something like this.
你不確定小孩是不是夠成熟了,能夠理解這類事情。