Dude! Yes! Perfect, bro! Absolutely. I'll definitely bring the kettle corn. Yeah. Of course, of course. Can't wait to see you. I'll talk to you later. Love you, Pops.
老兄!太棒了!完美,兄弟!當然。我一定會帶爆米花的。好。一定,一定會的。等不及要跟你見面了。我晚點再跟你聯絡。愛你,老爸。
That was your dad?
剛剛那是你爸?
Yeah. He's just confirming some plans for dinner. My whole family's in town for the holiday, so just kind of making it a big deal.
對啊。他只是打來確認一些晚餐的事情。我整個家族都來鎮上過節日了,所以他們想要把它搞得很隆重。
That's cool. It just sounded like you were talking to a friend.
喔原來。只是你剛剛聽起來很像在跟朋友講話。
My dad is my friend. He's my best friend. Isn't your dad your best friend?
我爸是我朋友啊。他是我最好的朋友。你爸不是你最好的朋友嗎?
Yeah, um, sure. I mean, we just don't really communicate it that way. I think Asian people, we're not as open and casual when we talk about our emotions like you are.
是啦,呃,當然。我的意思是,我們不太會那樣跟對方講話。我覺得亞洲人,我們在表達自己的情緒時不像你們一樣這麼開放和隨意。
So your parents don't say what they really feel.
所以你爸媽不會直接說他們真正的想法。
No.
不會。
They don't say "I love you"?
他們不會說「我愛你」?
No.
不會。
When you told your dad you were visiting home, what did he say?
你跟你爸說你要回家的時候,他的反應是什麼?
Are the tickets cheap? Don't come home unless they are cheap!
機票便宜嗎?除非機票很便宜,不然不要回家!
But what do you think he really meant?
但你覺得他真正的意思是什麼?
You're not making enough money at the job right now. So you better save up if you want to have a good future.
你現在的工作還賺得不夠多。所以你如果想要有好的未來就必須努力存錢。
See? That's nice!
看吧!這樣想不就很好!
Yeah, I guess.
對啦,我想也是。
What about when you were growing up?
那你成長的過程中呢?
What they said
他們說的
Not bad.
不錯啊。
What they really meant
他們真正的意思是
I'm proud, but I cannot brag about you to Mrs. Chen unless you're number one. So practice harder for first place next time, please.
我以你為榮,但除非你拿第一名,不然我不能跟陳太太炫耀。所以請你下次更努力練習,拿個第一名回來。
What they said
他們說的
Be home by ten o'clock.
十點以前要回家。
What they really meant
他們真正的意思是
I know you are not really going to your friend's house to study and you are probably meeting up with a girl from the piano recital. So be home before I go out looking for you.
我知道你其實不是要去你朋友家讀書,而且你搞不好是要跟鋼琴演奏會認識的女生出去。所以你最好在我出去找你之前回家。
What they said
他們說的
You can do better.
你可以做得更好。
What they really meant
他們真正的意思是
Actually it's amazing that you even got an A-, considering all the hours you play video games. But I want you to be successful. And education is only way I know how to achieve that.
其實你能夠拿到 A- 已經不錯了,考慮到你花那麼多時間在電動上。但我希望你有所成就。而教育是我知道唯一能夠達成這個目標的方法。
What they said
他們說的
Did you eat yet?
你吃過了嗎?
What they really meant
他們真正的意思是
I love you. But I don't want to say that. So I'm making sure you're well fed. That's how my parents said "I love you" to me. And it's less awkward.
我愛你。但我不想那樣說。所以我要確認你吃飽了。這就是我父母對我表達「我愛你」的方式。而且這樣也比較不尷尬。
That's really interesting.
這真的很有意思。
Why do you think they don't say what they feel?
你覺得他們為什麼不把心裡的話說出來?
I don't know. Maybe they're just not really used to it? Maybe they didn't hear much when they were growing up?
我也不知道。或許他們只是不太習慣吧?可能他們在成長的過程中也很少聽到自己的父母這樣說?
They can hear it now, right?
那現在講永遠不遲,對吧?
Zhen Xiang, come help me with the groceries.
振翔,來幫我整理一下這些食材。
Hey, Ma.
嘿,媽。
The grocery store is so busy today, but I got everything to make your favorite dishes. Did you eat yet?
今天超市好多人喔,但我買了很多食材要做你最愛吃的料理。你吃過了嗎?
I love you too, Ma.
我也愛妳,媽。
I love you.
我愛你。
Aw. Hi, Mrs. Wang.
好感人喔。嗨,王阿姨。
Oh, hi, Jackie!
噢,嗨,Jackie!
His name is Jake, Ma. The e's silent. I been telling you this since middle school.
媽,他的名字是 Jake。那個 e 不發音。我從國中開始就一直跟你說了。
Sorry, Jack.
抱歉,Jack。
- 「儲蓄、存(錢)」- save (something) up
So you better save up if you want to have a good future.
所以你如果想要有好的未來就必須努力存錢。 - 「相聚、碰面」- meet up
...and you are probably meeting up with a girl from the piano recital.
...而且你搞不好是要跟鋼琴演奏會認識的女生出去。