So it's called stinky tofu because it is stinky? Beautiful, oh. Oh.
所以這被稱為臭豆腐因為它很臭嗎?很美,噢。哦。
Americans Try Stinky Tofu for the First Time
美國人的臭豆腐初體驗
Stinky tofu is basically fermented tofu that's deep fried. It comes, usually, with pickled cabbage, a sweet and salty sauce, and chili sauce. I always make a point to get stinky tofu whenever I visit a night market in Taiwan. The smell was definitely something that I didn't like at first, and I've really grown to love the taste of stinky tofu. So, today I'm gonna be showing this dish with some of my coworkers, and I'm really excited to see what they think of it.
臭豆腐基本上是被炸過的發酵豆腐。它通常跟泡菜、又甜又鹹的醬汁,以及辣椒醬一起吃。每次我去台灣的夜市時,我都會去買臭豆腐。它的味道我一開始絕對不喜歡,而我後來漸漸地愛上臭豆腐的滋味。所以今天,我會將這道料理呈現給我的一些同事,而我非常興奮要看到他們有什麼想法。
Mmm!
嗯!
It smells like old shrimp!
它聞起來像放很久的蝦子!
It smells like armpit, gym socks.
它聞起來像腋下、運動襪。
It smells like, like, wet pennies.
它聞起來像、像,濕濕臭臭的血味。
Let's get a close up on Kane's eyes because they're watering a little bit.
我們拉近來看 Kane 的眼睛,因為它們有一點流眼淚了。
Wow, that's good.
哇,真棒。
I don't like it at all.
我一點都不喜歡這個。
It's got an aftertaste.
它有一種餘味。
That aftertaste is like the smell.
那個餘味就像它的味道。
It's good.
不錯吃。
Yeah?
有嗎?
The texture is nice—I will say that.
口感不錯--我覺得。
The equivalent of what I imagine, like, gym socks would taste like in, like, a seventh grader's locker that were there for, like, six months.
我想像中能互相匹敵的是,一個國一生放在置物櫃裡的運動襪嚐起來的味道,放在置物櫃裡六個月的運動襪的味道。
Oh my God, you're killing me, but also, also I can see it.
我的天啊,笑死我了,但也是,我懂妳的意思。
I'm kind of into it.
我滿喜歡它的。
She doesn't like it.
她不喜歡。
I have mixed feelings.
我有很複雜的感想。
This sauce is dope. These sauces are really great.
這醬汁很讚。這些醬汁真的很棒。
Definitely soaking the insides is, like, key.
醬汁完全滲透到這裡面就是,像是,美味關鍵。
Do people eat this, like, in their homes mainly or, like, out in the open?
人們主要會在他們家中吃這個嗎,還是,在外面呢?
It's very much street food.
它是十足的路邊小吃。
Okay, because they don't want the smell, I'm assuming, to, like, get trapped in their house.
好的,因為他們不想要那味道,我想,不想要那味道被關在屋子內。
I don't think, no matter if you're Taiwanese or not, I don't think you want that smell, like, persisting.
我不覺得,不管你是不是台灣人,我不覺得你會想要那味道久久不散。
It's definitely an acquired taste.
它絕對是要逐漸培養出的喜好。
It's, like, just left of being really good, you know what I mean?
它只差一點點就非常好吃了,你知道我說的意思嗎?
I think it's fine, honestly.
說真的,它還可以啦。
It's just very new.
它只是很新穎。
It's just very new. Maybe I'll like it...the next time around.
它只是很新穎。或許我會喜歡它...下一次的時候。
Okay, so, a lot less people liked it than I thought they would. And I'm not insulted that a lot of people didn't like this because there are Taiwanese people that don't like this either. Like my friend said before, it's an acquired taste. And plus, it means more for me, right? You guys want some?
好的,所以,他們之中喜歡它的人比我想像的更少。我並沒有因為很多人不喜歡這個就覺得被冒犯,因為也有許多台灣人不喜歡。就像我朋友先前說的,它是逐漸培養出的喜好。而且,這代表我可以吃比較多,對吧?你們大家想吃一點嗎?