This is your reply?
這就是妳的回答?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Are you...are you laughing at me?
妳在...妳在嘲笑我嗎?
No.
不。
Are you rejecting me?
妳在拒絕我嗎?
I'm sure that the feelings, which as you've told me have hindered your regard, will help you in overcoming it.
我確信你口中的那些顧慮會幫你克制住你的感情的。
Might I ask why, with so little endeavor at civility, I am thus repulsed?
請容我詢問,為什麼我被如此無禮地拒絕?
And I might as well inquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment?
那也容我詢問,為什麼你明顯存心要羞辱我,而要選擇說成你喜歡我是違背了你自己的判斷力?
No. Believe me. I didn't mean—
不。相信我。我的意思不是--
If I was uncivil, then that is some excuse. But I have other reasons. You know I have!
若你覺得我無理,那情有可原。但還有其他理由讓我這樣對待你。你明知道的!
What reasons?
什麼理由?
Do you think that anything might tempt me to accept the man who has ruined, perhaps forever, the happiness of a most beloved sister? Do you deny it, Mr. Darcy, that you separated a young couple who loved each other, exposing your friend to the censure of the world for caprice, and my sister to its derision for disappointed hopes, and involving them both in misery of the acutest kind?
你覺得我有可能會接受你這樣的男人嗎,你破壞了,可能是永遠破壞了我最摯愛的姊姊的幸福?你否認嗎,達西先生,你拆散了一對相愛的年輕戀人,讓你的朋友被冠上善變的罪名而被責難,讓我的姊姊因無謂的奢望而被嘲笑,將他們倆人推入最悲慘的深淵?
I do not deny it.
我不否認。
How could you do it?
你怎麼能這麼做?
Because I believed your sister indifferent to him.
因為我認為妳的姊姊對他很冷漠。
Indifferent?
冷漠?
I watched them most carefully and realized his attachment was deeper than hers.
我是最仔細觀察他們倆的人,我了解到他的愛慕之情遠比她多。
That's because she's shy!
那是因為她生性害羞!
Bingley, too, is modest and was persuaded she didn't feel strongly for him.
賓利也是非常羞怯的人,而他也被說服了,認為她對他並沒有太強烈的情感。
Because you suggested it!
那是因為你的看法造成的!
I did it for his own good.
我這麼做是為了他好。
My sister hardly shows her true feelings to me! I suppose you suspect that his...his fortune had some bearing on the matter?
我姊姊幾乎從來不向我吐露真實的情感!我猜你認為這跟他的...他的財產有關係?
No, I wouldn't do your sister the dishonor. Though it was suggested—
不,我不會這樣羞辱妳姊姊。雖然我建議他--
What was?
建議他什麼?
It was made perfectly clear that an advantageous marriage—
這很清楚的是具利益性的婚姻--
Did my sister give that impression?
我的姊姊讓你有這種想法?
No! No. No, there was—however, I have to admit—the matter of your family.
不!不。不,那是--而我必須要承認--妳家人的原因。
Our want of connection? Mr. Bingley didn't seem to vex himself about that!
我們想要跟他攀上關係?賓利先生看起來對這一點困擾也沒有!
No, it was more than that.
不,更甚於此。
How, sir?
怎麼說,先生?
It was the lack of propriety shown by your mother, your three younger sisters, even, on occasion, your father. Forgive me. You and your sister, I must exclude from this.
那是因為妳的母親、三個妹妹表現出缺乏適當的禮儀,甚至,有時候妳的父親也是。請原諒我這麼說。妳和妳的姊姊,我必須說不包含在內。
And what about Mr. Wickham?
那韋漢先生的事情怎麼說?
Mr. Wickham?
韋漢先生?
What excuse can you give for your...your behavior towards him?
你有什麼理由能解釋你對...你對他的行為?
You take an eager interest in that gentleman's concerns.
你對那位先生的事情很是關心。
He told me of his misfortunes.
他告訴我他遭遇的不幸。
Oh, yes, his misfortunes have been very great, indeed.
喔,對,他確實很不幸,沒錯。
You ruined his chances, and yet you treat him with sarcasm?
你毀了他的機會,而你卻以嘲諷的態度對待他?
So this is your opinion of me. Thank you for explaining so fully. Perhaps these offenses might have been overlooked, had not your pride been hurt...
所以這就是妳對我的看法。謝謝妳解釋得這麼清楚。可能這些冒犯都可以被忽略,要不是妳的傲慢之心受損...
My pride?
我的傲慢?
...by my honesty in admitting scruples about our relationship. Could you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?
...我誠實說出我對我們情感的顧慮,讓妳的傲慢之心受損。妳能期望我對妳劣勢的背景感到開心嗎?
And those are the words of a gentleman? From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others, made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.
而這些就是身為紳士的你能說出的話?從第一眼見到你時,你的傲慢和自負,你對他人的態度充滿自大的鄙夷,都讓我知道你是我絕不可能被說服要嫁的男人。
Forgive me, madam, for taking up so much of your time.
抱歉,女士,佔用了妳這麼多時間。
- 「違心、違背判斷」- Against Your Better Judgment
And I might as well inquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment?
那也容我詢問,為什麼你明顯存心要羞辱我,而要選擇說成你喜歡我是違背了你自己的判斷力? - 「為了某人好」- For One's Own Good
I did it for his own good.
我這麼做是為了他好。 - 「與…有關係;對…有影響」- Have Bearing On Something
I suppose you suspect that his...his fortune had some bearing on the matter?
我猜你認為這跟他的...他的財產有關係? - 「羞辱、污辱」- Do Someone Dishonor
No, I wouldn't do your sister the dishonor.
不,我不會這樣羞辱妳姊姊。 - 「清楚表明、使變明白」- Make Clear
It was made perfectly clear that an advantageous marriage—
這很清楚的是具利益性的婚姻-- - 「有時、偶爾」- On Occasion 錯誤頁面
It was the lack of propriety shown by your mother, your three younger sisters, even, on occasion, your father.
那是因為妳的母親、三個妹妹表現出缺乏適當的禮儀,甚至,有時候妳的父親也是。 - 「關心、對...感興趣」- Take Interest In
You take an eager interest in that gentleman's concerns.
你對那位先生的事情很是關心。 - 「說服」- Prevail Upon
From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others, made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.
從第一眼見到你時,你的傲慢和自負,你對他人的態度充滿自大的鄙夷,都讓我知道你是我絕不可能被說服要嫁的男人。