How fast does a germ move? Well, when it's not being helped along by your 100-mile-per-hour sneeze, the average bacteria moves along at a blistering land speed of 0.00045 miles per hour. That is 67 times slower than the average garden snail. So what happens when you drop your donut? Does the five-second rule still apply?
細菌移動的速度有多快?這個嘛,沒有你那時速一百英里的噴嚏幫忙時,一般細菌以每小時 0.00045 英里的超快陸上速度移動。那比普通花園裡的蝸牛慢六十七倍。所以在你把甜甜圈弄掉時發生了什麼事?五秒規則還有用嗎?
Is the five-second rule legit?
五秒規則合理嗎?
We've all heard of the five-second rule—get to the cookie within five seconds and it's good to eat. But is there any real science behind that? Let's go find out.
我們都聽過五秒規則--五秒內拿餅乾然後它就還可以吃。不過那背後有任何真正的科學嗎?讓我們來查清楚。
Free cookies! In the name of science! Cookies? Anyone? Hello, sir, how are you doing today?
免費餅乾!以科學之名!要吃餅乾嗎?有人要嗎?哈囉,先生,你今天好嗎?
Good.
很好。
I'm offering free cookies to everybody at the park. I hope that's not too weird.
我在提供免費餅乾給公園裡的每個人。希望那樣不會太怪。
I'm in.
算我一份。
All right, then. Here's your free cookie. There's one catch, though. Gotta eat it off the ground. That's the five-second rule, so it should be good, right?
那好。這裡是你的免費餅乾。不過有個小圈套。得從地板拿起來吃。那是五秒規則,所以應該沒問題,對吧?
You...you keep it.
你...你自己留著。
One free cookie for you.
給你一塊免費餅乾。
Thank you.
謝謝。
Let me get it for you. That was less than five seconds. You wanna eat it now?
我來幫你拿。那沒有超過五秒。你現在還想吃嗎?
No...
不...
You think it's been that long?
你覺得有那麼久嗎?
Don't eat that!
別吃!
It's fine.
沒事啦。
No, it's not. That's gross.
不,才不會沒事。很噁耶。
It's nothing, like, you see the crumbs on...?
這又沒什麼,妳看到上面的屑屑沒...?
It fell on—don't eat that! It fell on the ground!
那掉在--不要吃啦!那掉在地上過!
So, is she right? Or is he right? It depends—the five-second rule is really the 30-second moisture-and-surface rule. When any food flops on the floor, small amounts of bacteria will jump aboard immediately. But moist foods left longer than 30 seconds collect 10 times the bacteria than those snapped up after only three. E. coli, salmonella, and listeria love wet environments. They absorb water for the nutrients they need to grow and multiply.
那麼,她是對的?或者,他是對的?看情況--五秒規則其實是三十秒的「水分和表面」規則。任何食物掉到地板時,少量的細菌都會立刻跳上去。不過潮濕的食物留在那超過三十秒會收集比只掉三秒就撿起來的食物多十倍的細菌。大腸桿菌、沙門氏菌還有李斯特菌很愛潮濕的環境。它們吸收水以得到生長繁殖所需的養分。
But moisture isn't the whole story. Rugs transfer fewer germs than linoleum because the little tufts have less surface area touching the food. So, is the five-second rule legit? Yes! (for the most part)
不過水分並不是全部的內情。 地毯轉移的細菌比合成地墊還要少,因為地毯一簇簇的布料有較少表面碰觸到食物。所以,五秒規則合理嗎?是的!(大多時候)
Woops!
唉啊!
If you drop that cookie on dry ground, you should have plenty of time.
如果你把餅乾掉到乾的地面的話,你應該會有充裕的時間。
People walk on here.
人走在這上面耶。
God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt.
上帝創造泥土,泥土又不會怎樣。
That's gross.
真噁。
Thank you, guys. Have a good day!
謝謝你們啦。祝你們有美好的一天!
Thank you.
謝謝。
The next time you see a rocket scientist toss his cookies...
下次你看到一個火箭科學家丟餅乾...
Anybody else want free cookies? Free cookies!
還有誰想要免費餅乾?免費餅乾!
Take a bite! Time is on your side.
咬一口吧!時間是站在你那邊的。
- 「查明、找出」- Find Out
Let's go find out.
讓我們來查清楚。 - 「以...的名義」- In The Name Of
Free cookies! In the name of science!
免費餅乾!以科學之名!