What are you doing?
妳在做什麼?
Oh, I'm trying to learn to touch type.
喔,我在試著學習用固定指法打字。
But what are all the sticky notes for?
但這些便利貼要做什麼的?
Oh, I'm trying not to look at the keys.
喔,我在試著不要看鍵盤。
Good luck with that.
那就祝妳好運。
Try to Do, Try Doing
Try to Do 和 Try Doing
The verb "try" can be followed by an infinitive form or a gerund. And the two structures have very similar meanings. In fact, they're so similar that in some situations you can use either.
「Try(試)」這個動詞後面可以接不定詞或動名詞。兩個結構代表的意思其實很相似。其實,兩者意思非常相似,在某些情況下兩種都可以使用。
Have you spoken to Rachel?
你有跟 Rachel 說了嗎?
No. I tried calling her, but the line was busy.
還沒。我試著打給她,但忙線中。
Have you spoken to Rachel?
你有跟 Rachel 說了嗎?
No. I tried to call her, but the line was busy.
還沒。我試著要打給她,但忙線中。
In both cases, Jay wanted to speak to Rachel. "I tried calling" means he thought phoning might be the way to do it. "I tried to call" means he made an effort, made an attempt to speak to her. So the difference is very subtle, very small.
在兩個情況中,Jay 都想要跟 Rachel 說話。「I tried calling(我試著打電話)」意思是他覺得打電話可能是處理這件事情的方式。「I tried to call(我試著要打電話)」意思是他付出努力,試圖要跟她講電話。所以兩這其中的差別非常細微、非常微小。
"Try doing" is about getting results, achieving a successful outcome. "Try to do" is about making an effort.
「Try doing(試試看做)」是關於得到結果,達成成功的結果。「Try to do(試著做)」是關於付出努力去做一件事情。
I'm trying to change this light bulb, but I can't reach.
我試著想換這個燈泡,但我搆不到。
We often use "try to do" when we think something is hard.
當某件事很困難,我們常常用「try to do(試著做)」。
We're trying to do this jigsaw.
我們試著拼拼圖。
But it's very difficult.
但這很難。
What's a frog's favorite drink?
青蛙最喜歡的飲料是什麼?
Jay, I'm busy.
Jay,我很忙。
Croak-a-Cola.
嘓嘓可樂。
Did you know cows have four stomachs?
你知道牛有四個胃嗎?
Jay, I'm trying to work.
Jay,我正試著要工作。
So, we use "try to" when an action itself is hard. When the action is easy, but we don't know if it will achieve the result we want, we use "try doing."
所以說,當某個動作本身很困難的時候,我們會用「try to(試著)」。當這個動作很簡單,但我們不知道會不會達到想要的結果,我們會用「try doing(試試看去做)」。
What do you think?
你覺得如何?
It's a bit tasteless. Try adding some salt.
味道有點淡。試試看加點鹽。
Okay.
好。
Adding salt is easy, so the issue here is, will salt make it better?
加鹽很簡單,所以這邊的問題是:鹽會不會讓湯更好喝?
"Try doing" is about experimenting to find something that works.
「Try doing(試試看去做)」就是關於試驗並找出有用的某個作法。
The television's not working.
電視壞掉了。
Try plugging it in.
試試看把插頭插上去。
We often use "try doing" when there's a problem, and we're suggesting a possible solution.
出現問題的時候,我們通常都會用「try doing(試試看去做)」,我們就是在建議可能的解決方式。
Coming?
要走了嗎?
I want to finish my coffee. It's hot.
我想喝完咖啡。它很燙。
Try putting some ice in it.
可以試試看放些冰塊進去。
Good idea.
好主意。
I do wish you'd try going out with some of the other boys as well as Geoff.
我真的希望妳可以試試看多和其他男生出門,而不只 Geoff。
Why? Mother, I like Geoff a lot.
為什麼?媽媽,我很喜歡 Geoff。
Well, I know, dear. I like him, too. But after all, there are other boys in the world.
我知道,親愛的。我也很喜歡他。但畢竟世界上還是有其他男生。
So, try to do: make an effort; try doing: experiment. You can see both forms in this sentence here.
所以說,試著做(try to do):努力做;試試看做某事(try doing):嘗試的性質。你可以在這個句子同時看到這兩個形態。
Learning to touch type is hard. You have to make an effort. Perhaps sticky notes will help or perhaps not. They're an experiment.
學習用固定指法打字很難。你必須要努力去做。可能便利貼會有幫助,也可能沒有。這是嘗試。
One last example.
最後一個例子。
What are you doing?
你在做什麼?
I'm trying to get a paper ball into Kathy's trash can.
我在試著要把紙球投進 Kathy 的垃圾桶。
Oh, well done! Can I try?
喔,好厲害!我可以試試嗎?
Sure.
當然。
Okay. Here we go.
好。來囉。
Try rolling it into a smaller ball.
試試看捏個小一點的紙球。
Okay.
好。
Can I tell them to hit the subscribe button now?
我現在可以跟他們說要按下訂閱按鈕嗎?
Yeah, go on!
當然,說吧!
Subscribe. Subscribe!
訂閱。訂閱!