All right, now it's time for something... I don't know if this would be educational, but the president is overseas—he's visiting Belgium, England, Scotland, and then his pal Putin in Finland. It's a big trip with many important ramifications. It's imperative that America has strong relationships with and knowledge about people in other lands. And that responsibility extends to all of us, not just the president.
好了,現在我們要來做這件事...我不知道這會不會有教育意義,但我們的總統現在在海外--他去了比利時、英格蘭、蘇格蘭,還有去芬蘭找他的好夥伴普丁。這是趟很重大的旅程,會產生很多重要的結果。美國跟其他土地的人民建立穩固關係,以及了解他國的知識都是很重要的。那份責任延伸到我們所有人身上,不只是在總統身上。
So we came up with a test. The test is very simple. When on the street, we asked people who were passing by to name a country on a map. That's it. We had a map. We said, "Name a country, any country." And here's how that went.
所以我們想出一個測驗。很簡單的測驗。我們在街上問路過的行人講出地圖上一個國家的名字。就這樣。我們有張地圖。我們說:「講出一個國家的名稱,任何國家都可以。」給大家看看測驗的過程跟結果。
Can you name a country?
你能講出地圖上國家的名稱嗎?
Can you name any country on this map?
妳能講出這張地圖上任何一個國家的名稱嗎?
Honestly, my geography is so horrible. I can't name anything.
我要誠實說,我地理超爛。我講不出來。
Try naming something.
試著講講看。
Is this South Africa?
這是南非嗎?
Nope.
不是。
We have the country of Asia.
我們有亞洲這個國家。
No. That's a continent, and that's Russia.
不對。亞洲是一個洲,然後那是俄羅斯。
Oh, damn. Uh, I'm silly.
喔,討厭。呃,我很笨。
That's okay.
沒關係。
Man, it's been a while since I've been in school.
老天,去學校上課已經是有點久以前的事情了。
It's okay. Any country on the map.
沒關係。地圖上任何國家都可以。
Africa.
非洲。
That's a continent.
那是一個洲。
Country? Damn it.
國家喔?可惡。
How about a country in Africa?
那非洲的國家呢?
I know South Africa is over here somewhere.
我知道南非在這邊的某個地方。
No, it's south...
不是,南邊...
South.
南邊。
Can you name any country on this map?
妳能講出這張地圖上任何一個國家的名稱嗎?
Yeah.
可以啊。
Africa?
非洲?
That's a continent.
那是一個洲。
Oh, God!
喔,天哪!
Can you name any countries in Africa?
妳能講出非洲任何一個國家的名稱嗎?
God! No. Who knows stuff like that?
天哪!不能。誰會知道那種東西啊?
Can you name any country on this map?
你能講出這張地圖上任何一個國家的名稱嗎?
Yes. Um...Africa.
可以。呃...非洲。
That's a continent.
那是一個洲。
Oh, country! Um... Um...
喔,國家!嗯...嗯...
Greenland...or Iceland or something?
格陵蘭...或冰島之類的嗎?
That's Alaska.
那是阿拉斯加。
Um...
嗯...
Any country.
任何一個國家。
None at all.
一個都講不出來。
And on the entire map.
整張地圖都可以。
Um... This is so horrible.
嗯...太慘了吧。
Where's America?
美國在哪裡?
I would say this big one, but I'm probably wrong.
我會說是這個大塊的,但我應該答錯了。
Exactly wrong.
大錯特錯。
Okay.
好。
Can you name any country on this map?
妳能講出這張地圖上任何一個國家的名稱嗎?
Oh my gosh. Shouldn't I be taught this in the school?
喔我的天啊。我不是應該在學校的時候學過嗎?
I would hope so.
我也希望是這樣啊。
South America?
南美洲?
That's a continent.
那是一個洲。
Oh my God.
喔我的天。
How about a country in South America?
那可以講出南美洲的國家嗎?
Um... Yeah. Honduras is...here.
嗯...可以。宏都拉斯在...這裡。
Nope.
錯。
Here.
這裡。
Nope.
錯。
Here.
這裡。
Nope.
錯。
Here.
這裡。
Nope.
錯。
Somewhere here.
這邊的某個地方。
Nope.
錯。
Can you name any country in Europe?
那妳可以說出歐洲任何一個國家的名字嗎?
Is this one Europe?
歐洲在這嗎?
No.
不是。
This one?
這裡?
No.
錯。
Oh, I'm...
喔,我...
Can you name a single country in Africa?
妳可以說出非洲一個國家的名稱嗎?
Was this Africa?
這是非洲嗎?
No. Again, that's South America.
不是。剛剛有說過,那是南美洲。
No idea.
完全不知道。
Can you name a country in South America?
妳可以說出南美洲一個國家的名稱嗎?
Okay, this is South America.
好,這是南美洲。
Yes. Can you name a country in it?
對。那妳可以說出裡面任何一個國家的名字嗎?
No, I can't.
不能,無法。
Did you go to high school?
妳有上高中嗎?
Yes.
有。
Did you go to college?
妳有上大學嗎?
Yeah. That's the sad part.
有。真悲哀。
Argentina. Chile. Bolivia. Brazil. Peru. Colombia. Venezuela. Mexico. United States. Canada. Greenland. Iceland. Australia. New Zealand. Um...Papua New Guinea.
阿根廷。智利。玻利維亞。巴西。祕魯。哥倫比亞。委內瑞拉。墨西哥。美國。加拿大。格陵蘭。冰島。澳洲。紐西蘭。呃...巴布紐幾內亞。
Can you name a country?
你能講出地圖上國家的名稱嗎?
Oh, thank God. Well, if you didn't believe that children are our future before, now you do. Well done, everybody.
喔,謝天謝地。如果你以前不相信孩子是我們的未來,現在你就得相信了。做得好,大家。