How are you watching this video? On a smartphone? Or a tablet? Maybe you're streaming it from your laptop to a TV screen, or a projector! Well, all of these electronic devices can only exist thanks to one thing: semiconductors.
你是用什麼來看這個影片啊?智慧型手機?或是平板電腦?也許你正把影片從筆記型電腦傳輸到電視螢幕上或投影機!這些電子設備之所以能存在,都須歸功於一個東西:半導體。
Their unique connectivity means scientists control electrons much easier, allowing for the concentrated creation of countless complex computers! Its discovery facilitated a full-scale technological revolution!
它們獨特連接能力意味著科學家能更容易地控制電子,使之集中創建無數複雜的電腦。這項發現促進了全面的技術革命!
Taiwan's National Sun Yat-Sen University recently opened "The College of Semiconductors and Advanced Research," just to learn more about them!
台灣的國立中山大學近期創立了《半導體及重點科技研究學院》,就是為了能更了解半導體!
English with Experts
跟著專家學英語
"This is it, ladies! The kitten whispers and tickle fights end now..." Whoa! Sorry about that gang! I got a bit carried away there is all...! I only start glitching like this when there's a problem with my microchip. Which means we need to get to the bottom of these superconductors, and fast!
「就是這樣,女士們!小貓竊竊私語和撓癢的比賽結束了...」哇!我很抱歉!我有點分心了!只有當我的微晶片出現問題時,才會像這樣故障。這代表我們需要加速的深入了解這些超級傳導體!
Welcome to the show everybody! Wow! You all sound absolutely electric this evening! I'm your host Chuck McSilver. Let's meet today's contestants! Everyone, please welcome Stevie and Tim! This week we're putting the...back in "semiconductor." Check out our Semiconductor terms...
各位,歡迎加入我們!哇!你們今晚都聽起來好帶電喔!我是主持人 Chuck McSilver。來看看今天的參賽者!各位,我們來歡迎 Steve 和 Tim!這週讓我們把...放進「半導體」裡。
來看看這次的半導體詞彙有哪些...
Microelectronics. Electrons. Insulator. Module. Fabbing. Connectivity. Conductor. Transistor. Foundry Model. Contestants, it's up to you to find those words.
微電子學。電子。絕緣體。組件。半導體製造。連接性。導體。電晶管。晶圓代工。參賽者們,今天的挑戰是誰能猜對最多半導體相關術語。
Fingers on buzzers, here's your first clue...
準備好囉!第一題是...
"Any substance or material that allows electricity to pass through it"
任何允許電流通過的物質或材料。
Conductor!
導體!
Conductor
導體
"Any substance or material that DOES NOT allow electricity to pass through it"
任何不允許電流通過的物質或材料。
Semiconductor?
半導體?
Ooo, that's the wrong answer! A semiconductor SOMETIMES allows electricity through it, depending on its environment. Tim, any ideas? What do we call something that doesn't ever allow electricity to pass through?
喔,答錯啦!半導體有時允許電力通過它,這取決於它的環境。Tim,你知道答案嗎?我們怎麼稱呼那些永遠不允許電通過的東西?
Is it an insulator?
是絕緣體嗎?
Insulator
絕緣體
Correct-a-mundo! Whoa! We need to move fast...next word, please...
叮咚叮咚!答對啦!哇喔!我們得加速了!下一個字...
"Device used to regulate a semiconductor's ability to allow electricity to pass through it"
用於調節半導體,允許電流通過的裝置。
Transistor!
電晶管!
Transistor
電晶管
"Tool used to control the actions of an electrical device, similar to a machine's brain!"
用於控制電器設備運作的工具,類似於機器的大腦!
Module.
組件。
Module
組件
WHOA! I don't think I can wait much longer!
哇!我等不了了!
We can help!
我們來幫忙!
Sure! For some points...
可以啦,但要給我分數...
Please! I can't...stop...glitching!
拜託!我不能...停止...故障!
Let's think... If Chuck's glitching like this then he can't control his actions...
我想想,如果 Chuck 像這樣出現故障,那麼他就無法控制自己的行為...
Which means his module isn't getting enough electricity...
代表他的組件沒有得到足夠的電力。
If it's not getting enough electricity then his semiconductor isn't working properly...
若是他沒有得到足夠的電力,代表他的半導體沒有正常的運作。
Which means the problem must be with...his transistor!
這意味著問題必須是...和他的電晶體有關!
Err...Chuck? I don't think he's coming back this time.
呃...Chuck 你還好嗎?我覺得他這次不會回來了耶。
What happens now?
現在是怎樣?
That's the end of the round, and...it's a tie, which means...er...everyone wins!
這回合結束,而且是平手,這代表...每個人都是贏家!
Apart from Chuck...
除了 Chuck 以外
Medals for all! So, I guess I'm the host now!
每個人都有獎牌!我猜,現在我就是主持人了!
Is that how it works?
是這樣運作的嗎?
Thanks to our guests, everyone gets a medal, and we'll see you next time for another episode of English with Paz! No, no wait! English with Paz Bueno! See ya, Stinko's!
感謝我們的參賽者,每個人都有獎牌,我們下集 English with Paz 見!不不不,等等!是 Enlgish with Paz Bueno!再見了~你們這些討厭鬼!